Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gifts: words plus music

Can it really be three weeks since I last wrote something here?  Appointments, volunteering at school, trips to Winnipeg and Portage and Morden and Carman, chauffeuring my kids to events, and a week away with some family have filled up the days.  Now back at home, it feels a bit weird to have some undesignated time.  I feel a bit in-between, not yet ready for full-time work, but no longer completely occupied by my own mental activity.  Wanting to be with people, but sometimes impatient with conversation and eager to get home when I am out. An odd space. But really, there's not much about this stage of life that is not odd, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

A few posts ago I began talking about things that are helping me along this crazy road. I'd like to add music to the list.  As I have mentioned in other posts, music is enormously important to me.  It draws feelings out from under the surface, or focuses my thoughts, or expresses my emotions in a way that words alone cannot.  And the combination of words and music is unbelievably powerful for me.

In particular, I have been listening to a couple of CDs over and over during the last three months.  One is The Story, a collection of songs written by Bernie Herms (music) and Nichole Nordeman (words). Each song is a person from the Bible telling part of their own story, often from a slant that I had not considered before.  And every single song on this album contains at least a line, if not a whole verse or more, that resonates with me where I am at this place in time: Abraham wondering how his dreams can be fulfilled in the face of seemingly impossible facts, but knowing that he only sees a piece of the story; Ruth and Naomi speaking about beauty being rebuilt in their lives in a way they didn't expect; Paul feeling fired up about what he has to share but determining to wait for God's direction; Job's agonized, sacrificial hallelujah; and throughout the album, the assertion that Love wins in the end, that it is winning right now, that death and evil and pain will have to lie down and be quiet in the end.  I know that in a year, other parts of the songs will be important to me, because one of the things I love about the Bible- and about art- is that the exact same element will hold new significance at different times depending on what the reader/viewer brings to it from their own experience.

The other CD which has been on repeat in the last weeks is Fernando Ortega's latest album, Come Down O Love Divine.  It is beautiful and pensive.  I wept when I heard the first song, which consists of a set of words that has been a gift to me in these last months, my favourite prayer when my thoughts are so confused I can't verbalize on my own: Kyrie eleison, Christe eleison, Kyrie eleison (Lord, have mercy, Christ, have mercy, Lord, have mercy).  This ancient prayer, which was not part of my faith vocabulary growing up, has come to me in a video of Ramsy rehearsing with one of his grad recital choirs, in a favourite Christmas CD, and in this new CD.  It feels like God gifted me the words I needed to express myself to him.  Sometimes it means This is too hard, don't make me do it anymore.  Sometimes it is Please help me, and other days it is a prayer for comfort for other people I know who are suffering.  Another thing I love on this album is the addition of a gorgeous choir, soaring and plaintive.  And he does a beautiful, vibrant piano arrangement of "Of the Father's Love Begotten", which became the song I chose to play for offertory in church in January- the first time I had played there since Ramsy's diagnosis.  I had missed being able to express myself through music, but had not been ready. Singing is still sometimes- well, I won't say difficult exactly.  What I often find during our corporate singing at church is that when the words express so exactly what my heart is saying, my voice doesn't always work.  I'm afraid I'm not one of those people who can bawl and sing at the same time.  But my heart speaks through the music anyway, even if my voice is silent right then.  Another reason why it's so good to have the music in addition to the words.

I am looking forward to a concert I'll attend in a few weeks.  As you may know, Ramsy had a significant connection with choral music.  When he was in college in Winnipeg in the early 80s, he sang in a production of Brahms' Deutsches Requiem under Bill Baerg.  I have never heard this piece of music, but in sorting through some boxes last fall, I found Ramsy's copy of the score, full of his markings and notes and reminders from that performance.  I was very excited when I stumbled across a notice of the WSO doing a performance of this piece in April, with Bill Baerg as guest choral conductor.  It feels like another gift arranged just for me.  (But everyone else is welcome to attend as well.)  :)

I'll close with words from another song I found recently that says just what I feel: "Beautiful Things" by Gungor. All this pain- I wonder if I'll ever find my way, I wonder if my life could ever change at all.  All this earth- could all that is lost ever be found? Could a garden come up from this ground at all?  You make beautiful things, you make beautiful things out of the dust.  You make beautiful things, you make beautiful things out of us. 

3 comments:

  1. Shannon:
    Thank you for sharing your gift of words with us. I love reading your writings!
    I first heard the "Lord Have Mercy" prayer years ago, when I attended a service at Ben and Lois's church. I love how this simple three word request is so all inclusive. Regardless of what type of need, crises, trouble, etc. you are bringing to God, these words cover it all.
    Many "Lord Have Mercies" have been sent up for you and your children!
    I can identify with how moving the combination of words and music can be. Sometimes when I sit at my piano and play/sing some of my favorite old hymns, I too discover that I can't sing and weep at the same time.
    I'm glad you will get to hear the special musical performance of the WSO.
    Your "in between" feelings are totally to be expected.
    Love to you and the kids.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shanon, just today a friend informed me of your heart-felt blog which I read with alot of empathy, even though I have not experienced the traumatic loss of yours. And I was delighted to hear of your intention to attend Saturday's Brahm's Requiem. Requiems generally are written to commemorate the dead, but not this one. This one is written as a comfort to the living for such as you who have lost loved ones. The opening lines "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted" permeate the entire work which is based on scripture rather than a Latin text. You may want to review the text on the very last page of Ramsay's score to get the essense of the work. If you are interested, I will be involved in a short pre-concert talk together with conductor Mickelthwate beginning at about 7 PM in the Piano Nobile of the Concert Hall. I hope you find the work as moving as some of us have who have been fortunate enough to be involved with it over many years. Bill Baerg

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon,

    I just want to echo Bill's comments above. I was very moved by your blog post, which Karen Klassen Warner shared with me. Sitting in the orchestra this week I have been enjoying the text and the music, which Brahms himself chose and set so beautifully, in a new way. Since the last time I played it, my mother-in-law lost her own battle with cancer and went to be with the Lord. It was devastating for us as a family, but we took consolation in knowing that she had allowed God to use her illness to draw her "father up and farther in" to the Kingdom than she ever had before. While she did not want to die, and she left her two small grandchildren behind missing their Oma deeply, she was in "perfect peace", her mind having been "stayed on Him." As I play tonight, I will be thinking of her and now Ramsy, too: a brother and one of the "cloud of witnesses" I never had the privilege to meet. Thank you for the gift of your writing.

    Blessings,

    Yuri Hooker

    ReplyDelete