Saturday, November 5, 2011

Grab bag of thoughts

A bit of a mish-mash for today's post- some stuff I've been thinking about, been doing, been experiencing.

1) Foggy brain. I have heard other people talk about their grief-induced mental fog, and I have in no way been immune from it! I will be in the grocery store (one of my quirks is that I always make my grocery list in order of the way the items are laid out in the aisles and always follow the same route through the store so that I can get in and out quickly) and realize that I have been standing staring at the same shelf for a few minutes. I squint at whatever is in front of me and frown, and I actually have to go through this thought process: What is this? It's a red and white box. What is in the box? Scalloped potatoes. Is this something I buy? No. OK. What is this beside it in the blue and yellow box? I am no longer a fast grocery-shopper! Something I am learning the hard way: it is a very bad idea to stash something as I am heading out the door, thinking that I am putting it in a safe place. My kids say that they, too, have the foggy brain. They forget lunches, homework, chores, you name it. We're all in the same boat here! My mother-in-law assures me that in about a year, maybe, I "will stop putting shoes in the freezer and ice cream in the closet"!


2) Question for Aldersgate choir members from the 1990 tour: why is Chuck wearing a sling on his arm in the video of our Wenatchee, WA stop?  Yes, there is a prize for whoever can answer this question.  I have dug out of Ramsy's files a beautiful goldenrod-coloured poster of the choir splendidly arrayed in robes.  Fantastic.  As runner-up prizes I also have blank Celebration 1990 thank-you cards and assorted years of choir tour programs.  Limited quantities only- so sad.  
3) Our minds work in mysterious ways.  It often seems to me so absurd that Ramsy is not ever coming back to pick up his guitar in the living room, or sit beside me in church, or watch a movie with me, or tell a corny joke. It doesn't seem sad, at certain times, just ridiculous or plain not possible.  And yet I do not ever actually think that he is not dead.  Our minds are so weird.  Another thing: when I think of him during the day, my thoughts are almost all of him when he was well, but when I dream about him, which is pretty well every night, he is always sick.  Strangely, this is not distressing to my dream self.  Also, when I wake up after dreaming about him, I don't feel sad; I feel glad to have seen him.  This is not how I expected to feel.  In fact, almost nothing about this experience goes as I imagined it would.  Things that I figure in advance will be hard often turn out to be quite easily manageable, but then I am blindsided by some small thing, like the smell of coffee in the church coffee room last Sunday morning.  All of a sudden my hands were shaking and I couldn't see through the tears or decide what I wanted to drink- totally unexpected.


4) Rituals, or perhaps I should say symbolic gestures, help.  Sometimes I do drink coffee, which I don't actually like, just because I want to remember Ramsy and do something that he loved.  Stuff like that.


5) Every day is different.  There seems to be no pattern to how I feel from day to day.  I might have a really hard day on Tuesday, and then wake up Wednesday feeling happy and energetic.  And then Wednesday afternoon the dreaded fog may set in.  I never know what to expect.  But because I am not pressured in terms of time- I have no deadline for needing to go back to work- it's ok.  I can get stuff done on the easier days, and just be sad and write and talk with friends and listen to music or whatever on the harder days.  I am so thankful for that!


6) I need to talk about him constantly.  I do a lot of this by writing, but I am a person who learns and processes by telling stories and sharing experiences, and much of this needs to be done in conversation with others. So please, if you are talking with me, do not be afraid to mention him or ask about him!  Also, please be patient with me as I run off at the mouth- I don't mean to take over the conversation, it's just that I miss him so much.  I have so appreciated hearing from old friends (and newer ones, too).  Thank you!


7) Last thought- this post is getting long!  I heard a lovely story the other day about Ramsy being absolutely absorbed in worship, wiping his tears on his sweater and not caring at all.  I love this story, partly because it is so typical of him and seems very familiar to me, but also because it reminds me of how passionately Ramsy loved God and would talk, over the years, about how much he wished for Heaven where everything is made right.  I always thought I would feel angry if Ramsy got to go there first and I had to stay here, but in keeping with the "expect the unexpected" theme, instead I feel a profound joy that he is doing the very thing he always longed to do.  Another mystery.

7 comments:

  1. 4) I enjoy eating large amounts of potato chips and saying that it's for him. Oh wait, I did that before he got sick too. Oh well, now I have a good REASON for my eating chips, so no reason to stop. I stand by that policy with my coffee as well. :)

    6) I love it when you call me and talk about him. It's reassuring and comforting to me too. It's fun to speculate what he is enjoying in heaven at any given time. And,

    7) we know that where he is now is where he always wanted to go! I share your joy in knowing that.

    Noni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I love reading your blog - you are an inspiration. We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon,
    Thanks so much for sharing your thots, stories, and experiences with us. I'm so glad you don't have to feel pressured about going back to work yet, and can go through the grieving process without that worry. I'm also very glad that your dreams don't bring you distress.
    I can relate to the "foggy brain" experience, although mine is probably one more symptom of getting old!
    I love you, and keep you and the kids in my thots and prayers.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could take you out for coffee and allow you the freedom to talk all about him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me, but Tim was my youth leader at Willingdon years ago. He always talked about his family and I remember him talking about Ramsy. The MB Herald came today and I saw your husbands obituary. I wanted to know more and looked up your blog. What a journey you have been on. My heart goes out to you and your family. I love that you can blog and try to make sense out of something this seems so hard to understand. I lost my dad at the age of 57 and it seemed too young. We, too were able to sing him into glory at home. We still to this day count it a blessing. I will continue to remember you in my prayers.

    Cheryl( Schapansky) Kathler, Port Coquitlam, BC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Shannon -

    My name is Mike, and I was Ramsy's roommate for two terms at Bodensehof, Germany, 1979-80.

    I am so sorry to hear of his passing. I really regret losing contact with him for all these many years, but am so thrilled now to finally find out about his wonderful family and work as a pastor. I did try to look him up several times over the years, but was unsuccessful. (I see now that I was misspelling his name as "Ramsey!") Oh brother!

    I do want to pass on my sincere condolences to you. He was a good man, a talented musician, and faithful follower of Christ.

    Mike Comfort
    Dundee, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shannon;

    I was saddened to hear of Ramsy's passing.

    I have fond memories of the time that I spent on choir tours and I owe that to Ramsy. I would never have thought of joining the choir but Ramsy heard me singing to myself in the dorm and asked if I would come and join. I was hesitant but went to practice and looking back am glad that I did. Because of Ramsy I got to experience many things and travel to so many cities that I never thought I would have.

    My condolences to you and your family.

    Can't remember for sure but I think Chuck broke his collarbone and had to wear the sling.

    George Rose
    Edmonton, ALberta

    ReplyDelete