Friday, November 18, 2011

New playlist

One of the things that has always worked to get my mind and my emotions processing together is listening to music.  Certain songs can change my mood instantly, or get me thinking of something inside myself that I am trying to keep covered up or avoid looking at, or bring back any number of memories.  It comes as no surprise to me, then, that music is such a huge part of my days as I wade through my feelings.  Sometimes I feel that I desperately need to cry but the tears won't run; well, I know which songs to play to fix that.  Sometimes I want to remember Ramsy's and my romance; got it!  Sometimes I need to pray but don't have words; songs will help my spirit to speak anyway.  So here's what I listen to over and over right now.  If you're looking for something new for your own playlist, you can check out most of these on iTunes.

Songs that remind me of or tell part of our own particular love story:
Andrew Peterson's Dancing in the Minefields 
Michael Buble's Just Haven't Met You Yet
Sting's When We Dance
Sara Groves' Fly
The Jonas Brothers' Lovebug  (Yes, there is actually a Jos. Bros. song on my playlist.)
Andrew Allen's I Want You
Matt Nathanson's Faster

Songs that speak of loss or struggle or separation:
Simple Plan's Jet Lag
Amanda Falk's Fireflies
Starfield's Something to Say
Amy Grant's Missing You
Matt Nathanson's Come on Get Higher
Steven Curtis Chapman's Heaven is the Face

Songs that remind me of God's big story, and how he is at work in me and in the world, and what the end of the story looks like:
Bebo Norman's Ruins (and lots of his other songs)
Brian Doerksen's Holy God
MercyMe's I Can Only Imagine
Steven Curtis Chapman's My Surrender
Handel's Messiah
Chris Tomlin's Our God

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, your posts remind me of a famous hymn (When I Survey the Wondrous Cross) that says "sorrow and love flow mingled down". That seems to be what is happening for you as you mourn Ramsey's loss. It's great that songs can be such a helpful part of grieving. Today I listened to one of my favorite songs lately and I thought of you. It's a song that talks of the sorrow of loss, but there's hope in it too.

    Your Long Journey by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss on the album Raising Sand

    Thank you for your sharing your journey on your blog. Prayers go out for you tonight.
    Lydia Penner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    Thank you for letting us journey with you. Wether or not you know you are doing it, you are also helping us, your friends, family, and others in mourning - with "good grief". You and Ramsy, your family (and your example) so strongly influenced so many lives, and many of us felt our foundations tremble during this past year of loss. Thank-you for continuing to be a source of direction and advice, and allowing us a manner of participating in grieving and consoling each other.
    And a personal thanks for sharing your music ideas. Music is so powerful for me, too.
    So glad to know you.

    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete