Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sad

After a couple of conversations with Ramsy and the oncologist, we have agreed that the chemo seems not to be helpful, and we are stopping treatment.  Ramsy has been classified as palliative, as there is no different treatment to try at this point.  The MRI from last Friday shows that the tumor has crossed from the left side into the right side- the area controlling motor function.  This explains the quite sudden decline in strength in his "good" leg, so it is a relief to have that knowledge even though it is also horrible.

We are still working towards getting him home from the hospital as soon as possible.  Equipment has been ordered, and we are just waiting for it to arrive and be set up so I can receive instruction in how to use it.  Ramsy is reasonably comfortable in the hospital, and his nurses are so kind and sweet but I know he would much rather be at home.  I miss him terribly much!

I talked with my kids today, explaining that their dad is not going to get better.  They are really sad, but they also sensed this coming just from watching his gradual slide over the summer, so I think that helped prepare them a little bit for that conversation.

I have every certainty that God could still heal Ramsy, instantly or gradually, and to me that seems like just about the best idea ever; but I'm old enough to know that our most cherished dreams do not always become reality, so we are working on learning to let him go.  And I thought labour was the hardest work I would ever do....

Please keep praying for us.  We need you all.

11 comments:

  1. Tears are flowing for you as I read your blog update today. I can feel your pain and maybe only some of the pain as I went through a year of cancer with my sister. Just letting you know that your family is in our hearts and prayers. Thinking of you.

    Shirley H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shannon, Dan and I have just started following your blog and our hears are so sad with you. It has been a long time since we saw you and Ramsey - we were all just "kids" at Willow Park, but we have such great memories. Our love and prayers go out to you and your children.

    Anne & Dan Geddert

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Romans 4:20-24 Noni'sLT)
    Shannon never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, her faith grew stronger, and in this she brought glory to God. She was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises. And because of Shannon’s faith, God counted her as righteous. And when God counted her as righteous, it wasn’t just for Shannon's benefit. It was recorded for our benefit, too, assuring us that God will also count us as righteous if we believe in him, the one who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart breaks with you Shannon, and the knowledge of what lays ahead. It can't be easy to stop treatment, and yet I know Jesus has been beside you and Ramsey this past year, giving you the strength and courage to face this battle. We continue to pray for a miracle and for the endurance for you guys to carry on, day by day, trusting in God to carry you through. Much love, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon & Ramsy,

    Words are at a loss, as often they seem so insignificant. The prayers of God's people are for you and your children. How my heart breaks and feels like an anvil has settled in on it.

    I just know, that God is holding each of you, drawing you in good and close, with His arms so tightly around you. Gos is with Ramsy, this very minute, ministering to him.

    Please know that you are being lifted in prayer by your friends and people you will never meet.

    Love you all so dearly, as children of God.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon and Ramsy,
    I sit here with tears flowing as I read this...and there truly are no words. Just know that we are praying that you feel God carrying you through this time now more than ever. I can't imagine having a conversation like that with my kids and I especially lift yours up in prayer. With much love, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramsy and Shannon,

    My heart has been breaking with you. I want to let you know that we are praying for a miracle every day. Tonight Sarah told me that all her teady bears were praying for Uncle Ramsy, Aunty Shannon, Katey, Tom and Jane. That brought a tear to my eye. We love you all. As You and Ramsy have taught me over time God is always there. Even when you can't feel him in your hardest trials he is ALWAYS THERE. Ramsy once told me that when we suffer the most that is when God Carries us through it. All of our love,
    Rick, Donna, Jason and Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Ramsy & Shannon,
    God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Ps.46:1
    We continue to pray for you. Our Wednesday Men's group will keep you in our prayers.
    Arnie & Louise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our hearts are with you and your family. Tell Ramsey that 20 years after he told me I might make a good teacher, while we were sitting in sweltering heat one evening in the Philipenes, I'm 14 years in and still loving it. I owe him a lot. We love you and are praying for you and your family.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  10. We continue to pray for your whole family. May God grant you comfort and peace. You guys have been dear friends since we met and I always look back on my time working with Ramsey with great memories. He helped me grow in many ways. Peace be with you.

    Jeff and Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Shannon, my heart is feeling very heavy for you, the whole family, right now. It is so good to read here how many people are praying for Ramsy, for you and your awesome kids, and we will continue to do so as well. We love you and know that God is in this with you.
    Love,
    Carla and Matt

    ReplyDelete