Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Some progress

We are a couple of steps closer to getting Ramsy home soon.  The hospital bed and lift arrived today and have been given their rightful place in our room.  (Sounds so easy, but it actually took 3 friends working a couple of hours to get everything moved out and the carpet and underlay taken up, and the staples taken out of the remaining plywood, and everything vacuumed up before the delivery man came!  Thank you!!!)  I will be getting instruction in how to work the lift, and the home care will have to be finished getting arranged before we can get him here. 

I have been very pleased, not to mention relieved, to see how much more alert Ramsy has been over the last two days.  When I had him admitted a week ago, he was very lethargic and could not really respond to any of my questions- he would just look at me.  The last couple of days he has been able to nod or shake his head as soon as I ask him most things, and has verbalized a "no" several times, and generally seems more energetic.  I am not sure whether this is a result of being well hydrated, being off those darn chemo pills for a whole week, or a combination of a few things, but I am so very happy that he feels a little better!

I've also been wanting to say (but always forgetting as I've been posting) that it is really lovely to hear from friends from "the olden days".  We very much appreciate hearing from  you and knowing that you are with us in spirit.  I wish we could sit down for coffee and a catch-up, or even that I could email everyone back.  Too bad nobody has actually invented the StarTrek teleporter yet!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Shannon & Ramsy,
    Although I haven't written in quite a while, I have been following your blog and want you to know that I'm praying for you and that the ladies in the Thursday morning prayer group at my church here in Japan also continue to pray for you. Your steadfast faith has been an encouragement to me. May God continue to be your refuge and strength.
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Shannon and Ramsy,
    It's Roxanne again. Thank you so much for taking the time write the blog. I look for new posts regularly and pray for you each time I check. I am grateful for the precious time that you take to keep those who love you in the loop.
    I am glad you are feeling more alert these days, Ramsy. I smile each time I think of all the times we spent together at Willow Park. I especially laugh when all us Pastors and our spouses (well not me since I was single) went to Big White for our staff retreat. Remember when Ed and Carol were sharing how
    revolutionary the 'breathe right strips' were.
    Keep on going, Guys. I can't wait to hear about your kids sometime. They must be amazing.
    Lots of Love,
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ramsy, Shannon, Katie, Tom and Jane:
    You are all in my prayers often. My heart breaks for you and I feel so sad that things have not been going as we all have hoped they would. Although life is so difficult for you, I hope there are many small moments of joy as well. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers as you have new adjustments to go through.
    Much love,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Shannon and Ramsy,
    Although I have not met you Shannon, I grew up two door down from the Unruh's, and was friends with Christy. I have followed your blog after my sister Karla (friends with Noni) asked me to keep Ramsy in our prayers. I remember Ramsy being this mysterious older brother of Christy, who as children we kind of feared- just because he was so cool, and could do so many things we couldn't as little kids.
    I wish you strength and love in the days ahead. Karen Krahn

    ReplyDelete